We’ll soon get rid of tangled cables and plugs at home as the US researchers have outlined a relatively simple system that could deliver power to devices such as laptop computers or MP3 players without wires. The researchers said that the concept exploits century-old physics and could work over distances of many metres.
1) Power from mains to antenna, which is made of copper
2) Antenna resonates at a frequency of 6.4MHz, emitting electromagnetic waves
3) ‘Tails’ of energy from antenna ‘tunnel’ up to 5m (16.4ft)
4) Electricity picked up by laptop’s antenna, which must also be resonating at 6.4MHz. Energy used to re-charge device
5) Energy not transferred to laptop re-absorbed by source antenna. People/other objects not affected as not resonating at 6.4MHz
More details here.